AMA2513 Negotiating to Win
Those responsible for negotiating the best possible terms of an agreement for their organization
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
Whether you’re allocating resources for a project, funding a new initiative or establishing a supply chain for a new product or service, negotiation is inevitably at the heart of the process. But few people understand the structure, techniques, and approaches available to them as they seek to positively influence an outcome.
This hands-on seminar gives you a step-by-step guide to effective negotiation. You must identify the problem, understand it from the other’s perspective, generate alternative solutions, and select a solution that benefits both sides. All parties need each other to achieve their goals. Negotiation focuses on solving the problem and closing the gap between what both parties want.
You’ll leave the course with AMA’s Negotiation Planner to help you prepare your negotiations every step of the way and effectively apply your newly learned know-how.
Note: This program in not intended for labor union negotiators of either side.
How You Will Benefit
- Know when-and when not-to negotiate
- Develop an effective plan and strategy for any negotiation
- Know what behavior to adapt at each stage of the negotiation
- Adjust your communication style to achieve desired results
- Successfully apply the principles of persuasion to any negotiation situation
- Effectively negotiate face-to-face, on the phone or through e-mail and other media
1. What is Negotiation
- The basic concepts of negotiation
- What is negotiable in typical business situations
- Approaches to negotiation
2. Negotiation Stages
- Six stages of negotiation
- Appropriate behaviors in each of the stages
- Influences on the negotiation process
3. Planning Your Negotiation
- Plan a negotiation
- Determine a settlement range
- Apply the planning framework in practice negotiation
- The persuasion process
- Use the frame/reframe process to understand the other party
- Possible approaches to use when there is confrontation
- Use listening skills in the negotiation process
- Four dimensions of DISC and the style tendencies of each
- Characteristics of dual styles and their impact on negotiations
- How to adapt style to maximize the results of negotiations
- Why negotiations become derailed and how to avoid negotiation traps
6. Crafting a Strategy for Your Negotiation
- Plan a strategy to apply your negotiations
- Identifying a problem or issue for negotiation
- Steps and techniques for choosing appropriate communication methods
- Create and apply a strategy for a business negotiation simulation
7. Action Plan
- Apply what you’ve learned to plan a negotiation for back on the job