Developing SQL Databases (M20762)
In this course, you will learn the major tools of the SQL Server 2016 platform, logical table design, indexing, query plans, and data and domain integrity. You will focus on creating database objects, including views, stored procedures, parameters and functions. You will also learn procedure coding, such as indexes, triggers, SQL Common Language Runtime (CLR), SQL Server spatial data, and considerations for binary large object (BLOB) data.
This course uses Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and incorporates material from the Official Microsoft Learning Product 20762: Developing SQL Databases.
- Redeem four SATVs* for a Classroom, Virtual Classroom, or Virtual Classroom Fit session
- Redeem four SATVs for an individual GK Digital Learning course plus digital Microsoft Official Courseware (dMOC)
- Redeem two SATVs for an individual GK Digital Learning course
- Design and implement tables.
- Advanced table designs.
- Ensure data integrity through constraints.
- Indexes, including optimized and columnstore indexes.
- Design and implement views.
- Design and implement stored procedures.
- Design and implement user-defined functions.
- Respond to data manipulation using triggers.
- Design and implement in-memory tables.
- Implement managed code in SQL Server.
- Store and query XML data.
- Work with spatial data.
- Store and query BLOBs and text documents.
- IT professionals who want to become skilled on SQL Server 2016 product features and technologies for designing a SQL Server 2016 database platform.
- Developers from other product platforms or previous versions of SQL Server who want to become skilled in designing and developing a SQL Server 2016 database platform.
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
1. Introduction to Database Development
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- SQL Server Database Development Tasks
2. Designing and Implementing Tables
- Designing Tables
- Data Types
- Working with Schemas
- Creating and Altering Tables
3. Advanced Table Designs
- Partitioning Data
- Compressing Data
- Temporal Tables
4. Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
- Enforcing Data Integrity
- Implementing Domain Integrity
- Implementing Entity and Referential Integrity
5. Introduction to Indexes
- Core Indexing Concepts
- Data Types and Indexes
- Single Column and Composite Indexes
6. Designing Optimized Index Strategies
- Covering Indexes
- Managing Indexes
- Execution Plans
- Using the DTE
7. Columnstore Indexes
- Introduction to Columnstore Indexes
- Creating Columnstore Indexes
- Working Columnstore Indexes
8. Designing and Implementing Views
- Introduction to Views
- Creating and Managing Views
- Performance Considerations for Views
9. Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
- Introduction to Stored Procedures
- Working with Stored Procedures
- Implementing Parameterized Stored Procedures
- Controlling Execution Context
10. Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
- Overview of Functions
- Designing and Implementing Scalar Functions
- Designing and Implementing Table-Valued Functions
- Implementation Considerations for Functions
- Alternatives to Functions
11. Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
- Designing DML Triggers
- Implementing DML Triggers
- Advanced Trigger Concepts
12. Using In-memory Tables
- In-memory Tables
- Native Stored Procedures
13. Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server
- SQL CLR Integration
- Importing and Configuring Assemblies
- Implementing SQL CLR Integration
14. Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server
- XML and XML Schemas
- Storing XML Data and Schemas in SQL Server
- Implementing the XML Data Type
- Using the T-SQL FOR XML Statement
- Getting Started with xQuery
15. Working with SQL Server Spatial Data
- Introduction to Spatial Data
- Working with SQL Server Spatial Data Types
- Using Spatial Data in Applications
16. Storing and Querying BLOBs and Text Documents in SQL Server
- Considerations for BLOB Data
- Working with FileStream
- Using Full-Text Search