HR Competencies: Business Acumen and Relationship Management
This course is aimed at junior or senior level human resource professionals, HR managers, and all individuals preparing for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP certification examinations of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Compensation and benefits analysts, administrators, staffing managers and recruiters will also have interest in this certification path. Courses in this curriculum are created keeping in mind certification as well as non-certification users of the content. While the curriculum helps learners to prepare for the SHRM certification exams, it is equally useful for HR professionals who want to develop capabilities for improving their effectiveness in the workplace and advancing their careers.
Knowledge of HR systems, practices, and regulations is essential, but not sufficient, for the success of HR professionals. They must also have business acumen and a sound knowledge of their business and its environment. In addition, HR professionals need the ability to build strong and effective relationships with their business partners and other stakeholders within and outside the organization. Relationship management competency helps HR professionals in creating a positive work environment, ensuring more support, and contributing positively to both individual and organizational success. This course discusses these two key competencies, business acumen and relationship management. The course presents some situational examples to highlight the way HR professionals apply these competencies to their workplace. The content in this course is based on the Body of Competency and Knowledge (BoCK) 2015 of Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). While the course helps learners to prepare for the SHRM-CP/SCP certification exams, it is equally useful for HR professionals who want to develop capabilities for improving their effectiveness in the workplace and advancing their career.
- recognize the benefits of proficiency in business acumen for HR professionals
- identify the key areas that HR professionals need to understand about their organization
- recognize the types of business skills required by HR professionals
- identify competencies that demonstrate proficiency in business acumen in a given scenario
- demonstrate your understanding of how to apply business acumen to achieve results in HR
- recognize the components of relationship management
- identify ways to build business partnership skills
- recognize examples of key behaviors indicative of proficiency in relationship management for HR
- recognize how effective relationship management is demonstrated
- demonstrate your understanding of how to successfully manage relationships in HR