HR Competencies: Consultation and Critical Evaluation
This course is aimed at junior- or senior-level human resource professionals, HR managers, and all individuals preparing for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP certification examinations of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Compensation and benefits analysts, administrators, staffing managers and recruiters will also have interest in this certification path. Courses in this curriculum are created keeping in mind certification as well as noncertification users of the content. While the curriculum helps learners to prepare for the SHRM certification exams, it is equally useful for HR professionals who want to develop capabilities for improving their effectiveness in the workplace and advancing their careers.
Consultation and critical evaluation are two essential competencies for HR professionals. As internal consultants, HR professionals provide advice, counsel, and guidance to their organizational business partners and all stakeholders. As trusted advisors, they help address challenges in areas such as staffing, employee engagement, CSR, business and HR strategy development, global workforce, and employee relations. HR practitioners are also involved in the problem-solving and decision-making processes. This requires a thorough analysis and critical evaluation of the issues at hand. Critical evaluation for HR professionals means not taking anything for granted and, where necessary, challenging propositions. In this course, you’ll explore the underlying architecture of each of these competencies and learn about business situations that highlight application of these competencies. The content in this course is based on the Body of Competency and Knowledge (BoCK), 2015 of Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). While the course helps learners to prepare for the SHRM-CP/SCP certification exams, it is equally useful for HR professionals who want to develop capabilities for improving their effectiveness in the workplace and advancing their career.
- distinguish between internal and external consultancy
- recognize behaviors that demonstrate consultancy proficiency in HR
- recognize the steps of a successful HR consultation process
- identify essential HR consulting skills
- recognize behaviors that demonstrate proficiency in consultation
- demonstrate your understanding of how to effectively guide organizational stakeholders
Critical Evaluation Competency
- identify the benefits of critical evaluation competency
- match the components of critical evaluation to examples
- identify the features of evidence-based management
- identify the qualities needed for critical evaluation
- recognize appropriate questions to ask when critically evaluating a situation
- demonstrate your understanding of how to interpret information with which to make business decisions and recommendations