Identifying Project Risks (PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition)
Existing project managers wishing to get certified in recognition of their skills and experience, or others who wish to train to become accredited project managers
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
Since every project faces some degree of risk, good project management involves a thorough investigation into all potential risks that may impact the project throughout its life cycle. Identifying potential risks and their causes and impacts can mean the difference between a project that reaches a successful conclusion and one that does not.
In this course, learners will continue to learn about processes within the Project Risk Management Knowledge Area. It covers the best practices outlined in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) Fifth Edition published by the Project Management Institute (PMI®). Specifically, learners will be introduced to the second of the six risk management processes: Identify Risks. The course covers many risk identification methods including group information gathering techniques, diagramming techniques, and SWOT analysis. The results of these methods are compiled in the risk register, which is also covered in detail. This course provides a foundational knowledge base reflecting the most up-to-date project management information so learners can effectively put principles to work at their own organizations.
This course will assist in preparing the learner for the PMI® certification exam. This course is aligned with the PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition, published by PMI®, Inc., 2013. Copyright and all rights reserved. Material from this publication has been reproduced with the permission of PMI®.
- identify inputs to the Identify Risks process
- identify activities that should be part of a documentation review to identify project risks
- use the appropriate information gathering technique for identifying risks on a given project
- identify the characteristics of a project risk information gathering session
- indicate the risk information gathering techniques that would be appropriate in given situations
Risk Identification Analyses
- categorize items that would be used to perform a SWOT analysis
- identify the questions that would be asked during an assumptions analysis
- identify the two documents that are used to complete a risk checklist analysis
- match types of causes of project risk with examples
Output of the Identify Risks Process
- recognize examples of the contents of a risk register