Management and Maintenance of Windows 7 Client Systems
This course is aimed at individuals with experience working in Windows networked environments who are undertaking high level Windows desktop administration certification, and possibly Windows Server Enterprise Support certification. The customer base will also include companies using Microsoft Windows desktop and server systems that need their IT staff certified to a high level.
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
Desktop operating systems sometimes develop problems over time or after configuration changes have occurred. These problems generally involve system performance issues or hardware/software-related problems. This course provides a look at key tools provided in Windows 7 to monitor and resolve system issues and to help identify what has happened to affect performance or function. Included is a discussion of the Event Forwarding capability first introduced in Windows Vista, as well as the use of Performance Monitor, Resource Monitor, and Task Manager. If CPU or memory resources are suspected to be causing problems, you may also want to leverage the Memory Diagnostic Tool or Windows ReadyBoost feature. For hard disk maintenance, the desktop technician will also want to be familiar with defragmentation and disk cleanup, the checkdisk and checkntfs tools, System Configuration Tool options, Device Manager, and in some cases how to create a system image or use the Recovery Console options.
This course is one of a series in the SkillSoft learning path that covers the objectives for the Microsoft exam: 70-685 Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. Passing this exam will earn the learner Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician certification.
Resolving Performance Issues
- start Event Viewer
- recognize how Event Viewer is used
- create an Event Forwarding subscription
- set up Resource Monitor to filter processes
- sequence the steps involved in troubleshooting performance problems using Task Manager
- identify ways to improve CPU and memory use
- test RAM on a system for errors
- creating a new Event Forwarding subscription
- filter processes using Resource Monitor
- test RAM for errors using the Memory Diagnostics Tool
Resolving Hardware Issues
- identify how to troubleshoot and maintain hard disks
- group Windows 7 disk configuration options
- sequence the steps to create a system image
- configure power options for a device
- identify options for troubleshooting hardware issues
- recognize how to address severe hardware problems
- run disk cleanup
- set the power options for a device for a given scenario
- perform a clean boot