PPE: Personal Protective Equipment Cal/OSHA
All persons who will be in work areas where specific job-related hazards (flying/falling objects, hazardous materials, high noise levels, respiratory hazards, exposure to temperature extremes, potential exposure to energy sources, fall potentials, etc.) have been identified.
This course covers types, selection, maintenance, and care of personal protective equipment in the workplace. The types of personal protective equipment (PPE) covered in the course include: hard hat, respiratory protection, hearing protection, and body protection. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements.
Learner objectives are to: describe the proper use of the various types of PPE commonly found in general industry, identify the level of protection that a user is provided when wearing specific types of PPE, and discuss the general maintenance and care techniques used for various types of PPE.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology.
Personal Protective Equipment
- identify basic facts associated with the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- identify actions to take before using PPE.
- identify the proper selection, use, and maintenance of various types of hard hats.
- identify the characteristics of protective footwear.
- identify the characteristics of fully encapsulating and non-encapsulating suits.
- identify the characteristics of protective clothing.
- select appropriate eye protection to protect against various hazards.
- identify types of hearing protection.
- identify characteristics of respiratory protection.
- identify characteristics of SCBA.
- identify characteristics of air-purifying respirators.
- identify the level of protection that a user is provided when wearing specific types of PPE.
- recognize proper donning and doffing techniques.
- identify general guidelines of fall protection.