Project Requirements and Defining Scope (PMBOK® Guide Fifth Edition)
Existing project managers wishing to get certified in recognition of their skills and experience, or others who wish to train to become accredited project managers
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
Good scope management focuses on making sure that the scope is clearly communicated and well defined and that the project is carefully managed to limit unnecessary changes. Project scope management is concerned with ensuring that projects include and account for all the work needed to ensure the successful completion of a project. Successful project managers use project scope management throughout the life of a project to identify and control all aspects of the work involved. This course will highlight the importance of project scope management to project performance. Through interactive learning strategies and realistic scenarios, the learner will explore these concepts and gain a better understanding of the inputs to, the tools and techniques for, and the outputs of the Project Scope Management processes. This course covers all the activities related to planning scope management and developing a project scope statement. Specifically, learners will be introduced to the first three processes in the Project Scope Management Knowledge Area Plan Scope Management, Collect Requirements, and Define Scope. Learners will be introduced to best practices outlined in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Fifth Edition published by the Project Management Institute (PMI®). This course provides a foundational knowledge base reflecting the most up-to-date project management information so learners can effectively put principles to work at their own organizations. This course will assist in preparing the learner for the PMI® certification exam.
This course is aligned with the PMBOK® Guide – Fifth Edition, published by PMI®, Inc., 2013. Copyright and all rights reserved. Material from this publication has been reproduced with the permission of PMI®.
An Overview of Project Scope Management
- identify causes of scope creep
- identify the definition of project scope
- match the Project Scope Management processes with the corresponding Process Groups
Plan Scope Management and Collect Requirements
- identify inputs to the Plan Scope Management process
- recognize examples of information found in the outputs of the Plan Scope Management process
- identify key considerations about collecting project requirements
- distinguish between the various tools and techniques used for collecting project requirements
- recognize appropriate strategies for using group creativity techniques to establish project requirements
- recognize examples of good project requirements
- match outputs of the Collect Requirements process with their characteristics
- identify how the tools and techniques for the Define Scope process are used to create the project scope statement
- identify the inputs to the Define Scope process
- match the components of a project scope statement with the role they play in managing a project
- identify the purposes of the project scope statement