Scaffolding and Ladder Safety
Employees who use ladders or scaffolding during work tasks
This course is designed to train employees to recognize the hazards associated with ladders, stairways, and the type of scaffold being used at the work site and to understand the procedures to control or minimize those hazards. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements.
Learner objectives are to identify the types of portable ladders and their use, capacities, and safety considerations, describe the specific use, capacities, and safety features of fixed ladders, specify proper guidelines for ladder maintenance, and identify general scaffold requirements and safety considerations.
This course was reviewed and updated for the November 2016 OSHA final rule updating walking-working surfaces standards and personal fall protection systems requirements.
Ladder and Scaffolding Safety
- identify safe practices when working with a ladder
- identify the types of portable ladders and their use, capacities, and safety considerations
- identify the correct distance from a wall to place a ladder using the 4-to-1 rule
- indicate the specific use, capacities, and safety features of fixed ladders
- identify proper guidelines for ladder care and maintenance
- identify the hazards commonly associated with scaffolding
- identify general scaffold requirements and safety considerations
- identify specific precautions to take when working with scaffolding near power lines
- identify safe work practices that prevent falls from scaffolding
- identify safe work practices that prevent objects from falling from scaffolding