Stop Work Authority
All employees who work in environments that contain hazards and dangers
Imagine an organization with a safety culture where every employee is watching out for the well-being of every other employee whenever they’re on the job. In fact, many organizations have just such a culture. Stop Work Authority is a program designed to provide workers with the responsibility and obligation to stop work when an unsafe condition, activity, or behavior occurs or has the potential to occur. Under Stop Work Authority, all workers, including leaders, support safety by following established practices and procedures for stopping work when there is imminent danger to people.
In this course, you will learn about how Stop Work Authority functions and how it relates to workplace safety. You will cover OSHA and other federal standards that serve as guidance toward implementing Stop Work Authority. You’ll discover how to use a Stop Work Authority card, and discover the benefits of having Stop Work Authority in your workplace.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information.
What is Stop Work Authority
- recognize the intent of Stop Work Authority in the workplace
- identify which standard should serve as a guidance toward implementing a Stop Work Authority
Implementing Stop Work Authority
- recognize situations where a Stop Work Authority card should be used
- recognize the elements that are important to Stop Work Authority effectiveness in the workplace
- identify some of the benefits that Stop Work Authority gives to a workplace