The Role of Ethics in Project Management
Existing project managers wishing to get certified in recognition of their skills and experience, or others who wish to train to become accredited project managers.
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
Do the right thing but make sure you do it on time, under budget, and within scope, all the while maintaining your professional integrity in a constantly evolving global business environment. How do project managers do it, given that most ethical dilemmas are not black and white and usually require diligent deliberation? Keeping with their vision of establishing project management as a professional industry, the project management community and the Project Management Institute (PMI®) have established standards of ethics to help members to navigate the sometimes murky waters of ethical issues.
In this course, learners will be given an overview of the role of ethics in project management. Specifically, learners will be introduced to the Project Management Institute (PMI®) Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct. These are standards that are supported by values identified by practitioners around the world as essential to ensure the integrity of the project management profession. In addition, the course covers the consequences of unethical choices and behavior, including their far-reaching impact on the project management community, the global business community, and society. It provides a foundational knowledge base reflecting the most up-to-date project management information so learners can effectively put principles to work at their own organizations. This course will assist in preparing the learner for the PMI® certification exam.
This course is aligned with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) Fifth Edition, published by PMI®, Inc., 2013. Copyright and all rights reserved. Material from this publication has been reproduced with the permission of PMI®.
Role of Ethical Standards in Project Management
- recognize key concepts related to business ethics
- identify examples of ethical dilemmas in project management
- recognize the benefits of managing ethics in your project
The PMI® Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
- identify the aims of the PMI code of ethics and professional conduct
- recognize key issues in the development of a code of ethics for project management
- identify standards related to each of the four values described in the PMI® Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
- match examples to the types of inappropriate behavior they represent
- identify the true statements about the PMI process to review ethics complaints
- identify the aims of the PMI ethics complaints review process