The Utilities Industry Overview: Version 2
Consulting houses, industry investors, and all size companies that sell products or services to other sectors and industries; organizations looking for knowledge and key business information in the utilities industry
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
The utilities industry is essential to modern living and the modern economy. It provides safe sources of drinking water, proper sewage disposal, and reliable heat sources for homes and businesses. It also provides a reliable source of electrical energy to operate the machinery, equipment, and appliances that are vital to a region’s prosperity and growth. This traditional industry is undergoing major changes, and its leaders must adapt to a changing regulatory environment and embrace new technologies to succeed. The utilities industry must also meet growing customer demands for its services, find sustainable sources of green energy, and control its business costs, while, at the same time, funding major projects for the future. Utilities companies are dedicated to solving these challenges by incorporating technological advances, using renewable resources, preserving capital, and utilizing risk management procedures.
This course is designed to help learners understand key concepts, terminology, issues, and challenges associated with the utilities industry, as well as strategies for meeting some of those challenges. It will identify the main sectors of the utilities industry and its business drivers, and review the key aspects of the industry business model, its competitive environment, and the current trends in the industry.
This course was updated in 2015.
The Utilities Industry
- identify the main drivers of the utilities industry
- match utilities industry sectors with their activities and services
- recognize value chains associated with the utilities industry
- identify statements that describe competition in the utilities industry
- recognize examples of current industry trends
- recognize examples of utilities industry challenges
- identify the appropriate strategy to address each utilities industry challenge