VMware vSphere 5 – Part 2: Processor and Resource Management
Systems engineers, system administrators, vSphere operators and support personnel working in virtualized server environments who have completed Datacenter Virtualization with vSphere 5: Part 1. Candidates who are seeking to learn about advanced features and configuration options available in the vSphere Enterprise product. This includes, configuring High Availability, Distributed Resource Scheduling, upgrading to vSphere 5 and auto deployment. A solid technical foundation in virtualization using vSphere coupled with strong network and administration skills are required as a prerequisite for this path.
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
The idea that we can take a single physical server and host many VMs has a great deal of value in today’s dynamic datacenter environments. However, there are limits to how many VMs can run on a VMware ESXi host. The key to making the most of your virtualization platform is to understand how key resources such as memory and processors are consumed by the VMs running on the host and how the host itself consumes resources. One of the most significant advantages of server virtualization is the ability to allocate resources to a VM based on the machine’s actual performance needs. This course explains how processor and memory are utilized and how vSphere resources are managed in a virtual environment.
This course can be used in preparation for the VCP5 exam. However, it is not sponsored or authorized by VMware so does not fully satisfy the training requirements to achieve the certification.
Processor Utilization and Management
- recommend appropriate configurations for given virtualized processors
- recommend power policy settings for a given host
- match memory management methods with corresponding descriptions
- identify considerations when overcommitting a host’s memory capacity
- identify strategies for ensuring optimal VM utilization within a cluster
- recognize the benefits of managing resources
- recognize how vSphere uses to allocate resources
- use mechanisms to manage resource allocation
- identify how to view and edit shares, reservations, and limits for a VM
- recognize the process for editing shares, reservations, and limits for a VM
- describe the benefits of using the Resource Allocation tab to edit resources