VMware vSphere 5 – Part 2: vCenter Server Appliance Deployments and Upgrades
Systems engineers, system administrators, vSphere operators and support personnel working in virtualized server environments who have completed Datacenter Virtualization with vSphere 5: Part 1. Candidates who are seeking to learn about advanced features and configuration options available in the vSphere Enterprise product. This includes, configuring High Availability, Distributed Resource Scheduling, upgrading to vSphere 5 and auto deployment. A solid technical foundation in virtualization using vSphere coupled with strong network and administration skills are required as a prerequisite for this path.
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
A vCenter Server Appliance, or VCSA is a Linux-based appliance that can be downloaded and installed on an ESXi host that will allow the move away from traditional Windows-based installs. This course provides an overview of the vCenter Server Appliance including the deployment options available. Configuration of the vCenter Server Appliance is also covered.
This course provides an overview of factors you need to consider when upgrading to the vSphere 5 from earlier versions. It also explains upgrade options, details the upgrade process, reviews changes from vSphere 4 to vSphere 5, and covers upgrade requirements. It also covers the prep work required for a vCenter Server upgrade and the upgrade processes for vCenter Server, VCSA, and Update Manager.
This course can be used in preparation for the VCP5 exam. However, it is not sponsored or authorized by VMware so does not fully satisfy the training requirements to achieve the certification.
vCenter Server Appliance
- identify characteristics of VCSA
- describe how to configure the console VCSA for initial setup information and text based configuration
- identify actions to take to configure the VCSA via the web browser
- match example tasks with VCSA web interface options that would be used to accomplish these
Upgrading vSphere 5, VCSA, and Update Manager
- identify considerations when upgrading to vSphere 5
- describe what you need to do before a vCenter Server upgrade
- sequence steps to upgrade a vCenter Server
- recognize steps to upgrade a vCenter Appliance
- sequence the steps to upgrade Update Manager