WebSphere Application Server V8.5.5 Problem Determination
This intermediate course is designed for anyone who works on WebSphere related applications and projects, including administrators, IBM Business Partners, independent software vendors (ISVs), and consultants.
Please contact us for information about prerequisites.
This 5-day instructor-led course teaches you how to manage WebSphere Application Server problems more skillfully within your organization by using problem determination tools and techniques. The instructor and students explore common scenarios that you might face in your daily activities. You also learn methodologies and techniques for problem determination, including how to use online IBM support tools to resolve problems. In addition, you learn how to communicate more effectively with IBM support teams so they can identify a problem and find its solution.
The course covers problems that are associated with Java virtual machine (JVM) tuning and memory management, database connectivity, connection pool configuration, security configuration, server start and stop failures, application deployment, web requests, and default messaging.
In hands-on lab exercises throughout the course, you gain practical experience with problem determination techniques by using your newly acquired skills within various scenarios. These scenarios include hung threads, OutOfMemory errors, crashes, data source configuration, security-related issues, server start and stop failures, web requests, and Java Message Service (JMS) message flow issues.
The lab environment for this course uses the Linux platform.
- Course introduction
- Overview of WebSphere Application Server systems and components
- Using the IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0
- Exercise: Using the IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0
- Problem determination methods
- Gathering diagnostic data
- Exercise: Gathering diagnostic data
- Introduction to JVM-related problems
- Exercise: Introduction to configuring garbage collection policies
- How to troubleshoot hangs
- Exercise: Troubleshooting hung threads
- How to troubleshoot crashes
- Exercise: Troubleshooting crashes
- Introduction to WebSphere out-of-memory problems
- Exercise: Troubleshooting an out-of-memory condition
- Introduction to database connection problems
- Exercise: Troubleshooting database connection problems
- Tuning and connection pool management problems
- Exercise: Troubleshooting a connection leak
- WebSphere security configuration problems
- Exercise: Troubleshooting security problems
- Application deployment problems
- Server start failures
- Exercise: Troubleshooting server start failures
- Request flow and web container problems
- Exercise: Troubleshooting request flow and web container problems
- Default messaging provider problem determination
- Exercise: Troubleshooting WebSphere default messaging
- WebSphere installation problems when using IBM Installation Manager
- Intelligent Management problem determination and problem determination tools
- Exercise: Configuring health management policies
- Course summary