Writing for Technical Professionals: Effective Writing Techniques
Technical professionals wishing to improve their writing skills. This includes all IT personnel such as programmers and systems engineers as well as all sorts of technical engineering and scientific professionals.
Once you have planned the structure of a writing project, you need to plan your writing approach based on your target audience. You must take a different approach, for example, if instructing technical students how to implement a technology from the approach you would use to describe a technology’s benefits to the general population. A different approach again will be appropriate if you want to explain the unique nuances of your invention to a group of peers. When you’ve clarified your audience, you begin writing in earnest, carefully avoiding common pitfalls such as using jargon inappropriately.
This course explores basic writing techniques, page layout and design, and common writing mistakes to avoid. It also teaches fundamental underlying concepts of instructional, persuasive, and reference writing.
The Essentials of Technical Writing
- improve page design in given scenarios
- recognize the appropriate visual aid in given examples
- identify common writer pitfalls
- recognize common writer pitfalls in a given example
- enhance page design and layout to improve readability and visual appeal
- rectify common writing mistakes in a given example
Technical Writing Styles
- recognize guidelines for writing instructions
- follow guidelines for creating training materials in given scenarios
- recognize guidelines to follow when writing to persuade
- recognize tips for writing technical reference materials
- implement guidelines for writing instructions
- implement guidelines for writing teaching materials
- implement tips for writing documents that persuade
- implement tips for writing reference materials